WHAT IS ETHYLENE GLYCOL MONOBUTYL ETHER
Ethylene Glycol Monobutyl Ether, also known as 2-Butoxyethanol, butyl glycol or butyl cellosolve, is an organic solvent which is a clear, colourless liquid with a sweet, ether-like odour. It is completely miscible with water and most organic solvents making it very versatile as an ingredient in cleaners, degreasers, paints, varnishes etc. It is usually produced by a reaction of ethylene oxide with butyl alcohol, but it may also be made by the reaction of ethylene glycol with dibutyl sulphate.
- Formula: C6H14O2
- CAS No: 111–76–2
- EINECS No: 203–908–0
- Appearance: clourless to light yellow liquid
- Molar mass: 118.17 g mol−1
- Density: 0.90 g/cm3 liquid
- Melting Point: –77oC
- Boiling Point: 171oC
- Flash Point: 67oC
- Autoignition temperature: 245oC
- Flammability limits: Upper 12.7% Lower 1.1%
- Viscosity: 2.9 cP at 25 C
- Vapour pressure: 1.17 hPa at 25C
- Refractive index: 1.419
- Vapor Density (Air=1): 4.07
- Vapor Pressure (mm Hg): 0.8 @ 20C
- Evaporation Rate (BuAc=1): 0.07
- Solubility: completely miscible with water
- Other Names: 2-butoxyethanol, butyl cellosolve, butyl glycol, ethylene glycol monobutyl ether, Dowanol, Eastman EB solvent,
USES FOR ETHYLENE GLYCOL MONOBUTYL ETHER
2-Butoxyethanol is widely used as a solvent in protective surface coatings such as spray lacquers, quick-dry lacquers, enamels, varnishes, and latex paints. It is also used as an ingredient in paint thinners and strippers, varnish removers, agricultural chemicals, herbicides, silicon caulks, cutting oils, and hydraulic fluids. It has other uses in metal cleaners, fabric dyes and inks, industrial and household cleaners (as a degreaser), and dry-cleaning compounds. It is also used in liquid soaps and in cosmetics.
Key Areas of use:
- A solvent in paints, acrylic resin formulations, varnishes, lacquer and inks
- Used in water soluble solvent degreasers and cleaning products.
- An oil spill dispersant.
- Asphalt release agent
- Photographic strip solution
- Used in Firefighting foam.
- In soaps, cosmetics and herbicides.
With regards to environmental issues, 2-Butoxyethanol decomposes in the presence of air within a few days and has not been identified as a major environmental contaminant. It is not known to bioaccumulate.
Health & Safety
R-phrase(s): R20/21/22 Harmful by inhalation, in contact with skin and if swallowed. R36/38 Irritating to eyes and skin.
S-phrase(s): S36/37 Wear suitable protective clothing and gloves. S46 If swallowed, seek medical advice immediately and show this container or label.
For full details see MSDS for 2-Butoxyethanol.