WHAT IS TETRAHYDROFURAN
Tetrahydrofuran commonly known as THF, is a clear, colorless, mobile liquid with a faintly fruity, ether-like odour. It is a volatile and water-miscible liquid with a low viscosity at standard temperature and has the formula C4H8O. It is commercially produced bt the Reppe process where ethyne and formaldehyde are used as the raw materials. Tetrahydrofuran is an industrial solvent used in the plastics, pharmaceutical, and specialty chemicals industries.
- Other names: THF, 1,4-epoxybutane, butylene oxide, tetramethylene oxide, oxacyclopentane, diethylene oxide, oxolane, furanidine, hydrofuran, agrisynth THF
- Appearance: colourless liquid with a faintly fruity ether-like odour.
- CAS No: 109–99–9
- EC No: 203–726–8
- Purity: 99.99%
- Formula: C4H8O
- Melting point: –108 C
- Boiling Point: 66 C
- Flash point: –14 C
- Specific gravity: 0.88 at 20 C
- Viscosity: 0.456 at 25 C
- molecular weight: 72
- Solubility: miscible with water
- Peroxides max: 0.0025%
- Stabilizer (BHT): 0.02–0.035%
- Vapor density (air = 1): 2.5
- Evaporation rate (butyl acetate = 1): 8
- Flammable limits in air: Lower, 2%; upper, 11.8%
Tetrahydofuran is soluble in water; miscible with alcohols, ethers, ketones, esters, and hydrocarbons.
Uses For Tetrahydrofuran:
- Joining rigid pipes
- In compounded cements for leather, plasit sheet film extrusions
- PVC cements
- PVC cleaner prior to jointing
- Film formation for vinyl topcoating, cast vinyl films, coated cellophane etc
- As a pharmaceutical solvent
- Solvent for anionic polymerization
- Gel phase chromatography
- Manufacture of industrial resins, polyurethane coatings, elastomers and printing inks
THF is used as intermediate in the manufacture of natural gas odourants; in the production of polytetramethylether glycols for polyurethanes and polyesters.
THF is used a rection solvent for Pharmaceutical and specialty chemicals; Alkali metals, alkylalkali and arylalkali metal compounds; Alkali metal, aluminum hydrides, and borohydrides; Organics with limited solubility in alcohols, ketones, ethers, and esters Steroids.
THF solvents can be used to join rigid plastic pipe and in compounded cements for leather, plastic sheet film extrusions and for molded plastic parts assemblies. The combined advantages of rapid solvent activity, minimum gelation and lower relative viscosities for resin solutions, makes THF an attractive solvent choice.
Health & safety
Classification: Highly flammable, Irritant
Risk phrases: R11– Highly flammable. R19– May form explosive peroxides. R36/37– Irritating to eyes and respiratory system.
Safety phrases: S16– Keep away from sources of ignition – No smoking. S29– Do not empty into drains. S33– Take precautionary measures against static discharges.
For full details see MSDS for Tetrahydrofuran THF