What is Ketocyclopentane
Ketocyclopentane, commonly known as Cyclopentanone is a clear colourless liquid organic compound with a peppermint-like odour and is a cyclic ketone. It is a flammable compound with vapour heavier than air. It is produced from adipic acid by heating to 285–295C in the presence of barium hydroxide.
Cyclopentanone is an intermediate used in the production of rubber chemicals, insecticides, biologicals and pharmaceuticals.
Properties of Ketocyclopentane
- Synonyms: Cyclopentanone; Ketocyclopentane; Adipic ketone; Cyclopentan-1-one; Dumasin; Ketopentamethylene; oxocyclopentane;
- Formula: C5H8O
- CAS No: 120–92–3
- EINECS No: 204–435–9
- Purity: >99%
- Appearance: Clear colourless liquid
- Molar mass: 84.12 g/mol
- Density: 0.95 g/cm3
- Solubility:almost insoluble in water (9g/L)
- Melting point: –58.2 C
- Boiling point: 130.6 oC
- Flash point: 26 C
- Autoignition temperature: 445 C
- Refractive index: 1.432–1.438
- Relative vapour density (air=1): 2.3
- Vapour pressure: 14 mm Hg @25C
- Octanol/Water Partition Coefficient: log Kow= 0.24 (est)
The composition of cyclopentanone consists of C 71.39%, H 9.59% and O 19.02%. Cyclopentanone has a vapour which is heavier than air making it a dangerous environment to work in. The substance easily polymerizes under the influence of acids. It is insoluble in water but soluble in alcohols, acetone, ether and most organic solvents. It reacts with oxidising agents like hydrogen peroxide.
Uses for Ketocyclopentane:
- Used in production of cylopentanone derivatives for use in the perfume industry eg Cyclopentylamine, Cyclopentanol and jasmine-fragrant material.
- Manufacture of insecticides and pesticides.
- Used in the production of synthetic resins and rubber adhesives.
- Intermediate in the pharmaceutical industry.
- Laboratory reagent.
- Used as a thinner for epoxies.
- As a solvent it is used in paint and varnish removers, as dry cleaning agent and for oil extraction.
Health & Safety:
Symbol – Xi
Risk phrases: R10 Flammable. R36/38 Irritating to eyes and skin.
Safety phrases: S23 Do not breathe gas/fumes/vapour/spray.
UN Hazard Class: 3
UN Packing Group: III
For full details see MSDS for Ketocyclopentane